EFP is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
EFP may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1st January 2018.
What we collect
EFP collects information when:
- The European Federation of Periodontology is an umbrella organisation of national scientific societies. Each society appoints one or more 'co-ordinators' to submit information about their members to the EFP website forming a membership list. The list is used to form the EFP members database. The EFP is not responsible for the privacy arrangements made by the national societies.
- The EFP has several 'EFP' member accounts which allow other individuals to access the site, these accounts are usually created by the European Co-ordinator, but once created the members can alter the information.
- You register as a speaker, when your your information is shown and can be changed on the members only 'Your Speaker Entry' page.
- You register as an EFP Alumni, allowing your information to be shown on the EFP Alumni page or the Current students page. Some Alumni are not members of EFP national societies, and in this case a special login account is created to allow the management of your information on the Alumni page.
- You register as a member of the Press where we collect your information to keep you updated about EFP activities.
- You register for an EFP event such as a Master Clinic or a EuroPerio congress where bookings are handled by a third party who are responsible for your privacy. As part of our contract with the third party we may acquire your information, and may use your email address to alert you personally about future EFP events.
- You are using one of several contact forms on the site, where we ask for your name, email and phone number. This information is stored briefly while it is converted into an email message which is then sent.
- You visit the site and we use Google Analytics to track your path through the site. This information is aggregated and presented to us in a way that allows us to improve the site, but we cannot identify a particular user. You can prevent us from tracking you, see our Cookies page.
What we do with the information we gather
For members, we require the information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping
- To provide you with privileged access to certain parts of the website. For example, to allow you to maintain your membership information and see what we hold about you.
- We may periodically send emails which contain news and information about the society and its events. You can always opt out from receiving these emails by visiting the appropriate page on the website.
For co-ordinators, we require the information to provide you with access to:
- Maintain the national society membership lists
- Moderate speaker entries for your society
- Manage the specific webpage for the society
- Manage society committee lists
For the Press, we provide you with access to embargoed materials and will also send email updating you on EFP activities.
We use Google Analytics to measure and improve the performance and content of the site and to determine what is or is not regularly visited.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
See our page on this topic.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Members can always see and modify the information that EFP holds for you, visit the Change your contact details page. For some national societies, you are prohibited from changing the information on the EFP site but must inform the national society who will change their database and will update the EFP site at a later date. Other national societies use the EFP database as their main membership list, and in this case changing the information on the EFP site is encouraged.
Members privacy settings are also available on one page for ease of use, visit the 'Your Privacy' page.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The GDPR comes into force in May 2018 and requires that we provide you with the following information.
The GDPR requires us to state the lawful basis for the processing activity that we perform. Membership of a national group provides an implicit contract between the member and that national group. In turn, the national group is a member of the EFP, who acquires your information as part of that arrangement. The EFP provides membership services for each member.
The GDPR requires that we provide you with the identity of the 'Data Controller', who determines the purposes and means of processing personal data. For the EFP, the data controller is the EFP Executive Committee who can be contacted via the EFP European co-ordinator. See the EFP committees page.
Lead data protection supervisory authority
The EFP operates in most European countries but the data and processing activity is done in the United Kingdom. The EFP opts to use the UK's Information Commissioner's Office as its lead data protection supervisory authority.