Perio Master Clinic 2019 in Hong Kong starts on Friday, March 1 with a keynote address by Niklaus Lang, one of the “living giants” of periodontology, who will offer an overview of peri-implant diseases including aetiology, epidemiology, and diagnosis.
The Hong Kong master clinic – on the prevention and treatment of soft- and hard-tissue defects in relation to peri-implantitis – is the first EFP event to be organised outside of Europe and is a symbol of the federation’s increasingly global focus.
The event, where numbers are limited to 550 to ensure an optimal learning environment, was fully booked by mid-January. Perio Master Clinic 2019 is being attended by clinicians from 41 countries, with the biggest numbers coming from China (37% of bookings), Hong Kong (12%), and Japan (7%).
“With this programme, the EFP has been proud to enhance its mission and come to Asia to partner with Asian colleagues to move forward the shared vision of bringing periodontal health to all, with a ground-breaking and exciting programme,” said congress chair Maurizio Tonetti.
Six sessions, 20 expert speakers
The programme on Friday, March 1 comprises opening remarks from Prof Tonetti and scientific chair Stefan Renvert, Prof Lang’s address, and then four sessions:
- Prevention of peri-implant diseases, moderated by Philip Preshaw (UK), with presentations from Daniel Thoma (Switzerland) on Development of an implant site – planning implications of implant placement for prevention and Martin Janda (Sweden) on Combining aesthetics and good cleansability by designing an optimal superstructure.
- Reduction of the risk of peri-implant disease by improving soft tissues at time of implant placement, moderated by Filippo Graziani (Italy), with Mariano Sanz (Spain) presenting on Materials and techniques to increase the width of keratinized tissues at implants and Otto Zuhr (Germany) on Plastic-surgery techniques to increase soft-tissue thickness at implants.
- Cause-related peri-implant therapy, moderated by Shinya Murakami (Japan), with presentations from Giovanni Salvi (Switzerland) on Non-surgical peri-implant therapy and Frank Schwarz on The role of laser therapy in the management of peri-implantitis.
- Resective surgical approaches – when are they an option? Moderated by Moshe Goldstein (Israel), with presentations from Joerg Meyle (Germany) on Resective-surgery approaches to reduce probing depth and increase cleansability and Lisa Heitz-Mayfied (Australia) on Benefits and risks of antibiotics and antimicrobials in peri-implant surgery.
On Saturday, March 2, the programme comprises a further two sessions, followed by “take-home” messages and closing remarks. The sessions are:
- Benefits and limitations of regeneration of peri-implant defects, moderated by Park Jung-Chul (South Korea), with presentations from Stefan Renvert (Sweden) on The use of bone-augmentation materials in the regeneration of peri-implantitis defects and Mario Roccuzzo (Italy) on Advanced flap management to improve the regenerative outcomes in peri-implantitis defects.
- Management of soft-tissue recessions at implants, moderated by Korkud Demirel (Turkey), with presentations from Jean-Louis Giovannoli (France) on Treatment of mucogingival recessions at existing peri-implantitis sites and Francesco Cairo (Italy) on Handling of soft-tissue recessions in the aesthetic zone.
Prof Tonetti said: “The EFP and I are most pleased to present for the first time in Asia a faculty with such talent and expertise to address one of the leading clinical dilemmas in periodontal practice: how to effectively manage peri-implantitis and its soft- and hard-tissue sequelae.”
The full programme for Perio Master Clinic 2019 can be consulted here and attendees can also take full benefit of the special app created for the event. Features of the Perio Master Clinic app, an “app within an app” within the EFP app, include a detailed and searchable scientific programme for the two-day master clinic, information about the speakers and moderators, details of the sponsors and exhibitors, a floor plan, and other useful information.
The two-day event, held at the Harbour Grand Kowloon hotel, has been created by the EFP in partnership with the Hong Kong Society of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry (HKSPID) and working with Mondial Congress & Events, the professional congress organiser that has assisted the federation with the two previous editions of Perio Master Clinic (Paris, 2013 and Malta, 2017) as well as with various editions of the EuroPerio congress.