A comprehensive full set of videos in which experts explain the new classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions has been released by the EFP.
The videos have been made as a support to the toolkit launched in March to help periodontists and other dental professionals implement the new classification in their everyday practice.
There are four video introductions from the EFP co-chairs of the 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-implant Diseases and Conditions which drew up the new classification.
In these introductions, Mariano Sanz, co-ordinator of the toolkit project, explains “why this EFP project matter”, Iain Chapple presents “Periodontal health and gingivitis”, Søren Jepsen outlines “Systemic and other periodontal conditions”, and Tord Berglundh introduces “Peri-implant health, peri-implant mucositis, and peri-implantitis”.
In a series of presentation videos, each of these experts explains their presentations on different aspects of the new classification. In this way, the viewer can, in effect, watch the speaker give the presentation. In total, there are 26 short videos:
Periodontal health and gingivitis (Iain Chapple):
- Periodontal health
- Plaque-induced gingival conditions
- Non-plaque-induced gingival diseases
- Plaque-induced gingivitis: case definition and diagnostic considerations.
Periodontitis (Mariano Sanz and Maurizio Tonetti):
- Step 1: New patient, screening for signs of periodontitis presence
- Step 2: Patient suspected of periodontitis
- Step 3a: Patient is a periodontitis case whose stage needs to be established
- Step 3b: Stages III and IV versus I and II
- Step 3c: Stages I, II, III, and IV
- Step 4a: Grading when there are no existing records
- Step 4b: Grading when there are existing records
- Treatment plan, criteria stages, frameworks
- Clinical examples and points to keep in mind
Systemic and other periodontal conditions (Søren Jepsen)
- Manifestations of systemic diseases and conditions
- Mucogingival conditions in the natural dentition
- Occlusal trauma and excessive occlusal forces
- Dental prosthesis and tooth-related factors
- Periodontal abscesses, lesions, and endo-periodontal lesions
Peri-implant health, peri-implant mucositis, and peri-implantitis (Tord Berglundh)
- Peri-implant health
- Peri-implant mucositis
- Case definitions and diagnostic considerations
The videos are published at perioclassification.efp.org, which also includes guidance notes, expert presentations, and the introduction and consensus reports of the 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-implant Diseases and Conditions. Infographics will be added later.
The videos have also been put in the “forum” part of the website so that they can be downloaded by the EFP-affiliated national societies for their own use. They are also available in a playlist on the EFP’s YouTube channel.