A series of videos interviews with the chairs and co-chairs of the EFP’s recent Perio Workshop 2022 is now available for viewing on the EFP’s YouTube channel.
The videos offer insight into the science behind the consensus agreements reached at the workshop, held in Spain in early November, which will lead to a clinical-practice guideline with 52 recommendations on the prevention and treatment of peri-implant diseases.
The interviews were conducted by Bettina Dannewitz, chair of the EFP communications committee, and feature:
- David Herrera, chair of the EFP workshop committee and of working group 3 of Perio Workshop 2022, explaining the aims of the workshop.
- Iain Chapple and Søren Jepsen on the prevention of peri-implant diseases.
- Mariano Sanz on peri-implant mucositis and the history and evolution of Perio Workshop.
- Anton Sculean on the management of peri-implant mucositis.
- Moritz Kebschull and Maurizio Tonetti on the non-surgical treatment of peri-implantitis.
- Panos Papapanou and Tord Berglundh on the relevance of a guideline on peri-implant diseases.
- Frank Schwarz on surgical treatment of peri-implantitis.
There is also a “wrap-up video” giving an overview of the workshop, which includes contributions from EFP president Andreas Stavropoulos and secretary general Nicola West, as well as from David Herrera.
Perio Workshop 2022, held from November 6 to 9 at La Granja de San Ildefonso, near Segovia in Spain, involved 71 experts from 21 countries who evaluated 13 systematic reviews on peri-implant health and the prevention of peri-implant diseases, and the treatment of peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis.
In four working groups, they listened to the scientific evidence and voted on specific recommendations to create an evidence- and expert-based guideline for the prevention and treatment of peri-implant diseases, which is expected to be published in spring 2023 in the Journal of Clinical Periodontology.